People use tents for a long time ago. Tents are quite helpful. Nowadays, people have chosen camping as one of their entertainment ways. Also, adventure lovers’ people travel a lot and camping is their other favorite thing.
For camping tent is one must-have item. In your whole tour tent will help you. But don’t forget those survival tents need special care for storing. Just like your other stuff such as- clothes, tools you have to maintain shelters properly.
On your maintenance, the life of your tent is dependent a lot. So it is mandatory. Shelters can be attacked by mold. If you want to know how to clean a tent from rust, then keep reading this writing.
Here we have tried to thoroughly discuss mold as well as how to clean a tent from the mold.
What is Mold?
Mold is actually a fungus. We know that plants require energy from the sun to grow, and in case of mold consume energy from degrading organic items.
Let’s know the life cycle of mold briefly. Mold emits enzymes that decompose organic material. And mold eats that decomposes organic material and creates waste. In such a way, the life circle moves.
Mold is one essential element of the natural world, which makes this planet so lively.
Where Does Mold come from?
In our nature mold is everywhere. If you talk about clothes, fur, skin, leaves, or anything, there might be mold. Mold can grow almost everywhere except above freezing.
Especially mold grows in a damp, dark environment where there are lots of organic material from which they can generate energy.
Molds release a huge number of spores which can be spread through air or water easily and settle new location. Within only 24 hours, mold can grow in the right conditions. So, whenever you see it, you should take further steps to remove it.
Are Molds Dangerous?
After thorough research, we can say that hidden mold can be dangerous and it can also destroy your tent. Mold can be the cause of a tent’s rot, holes, tears, and even complete loss.
Once mold reaches the fiber of your tent, it can’t be eradicated but it is possible to prevent the spreading.
If we talk about humans, most of the molds are not dangerous for humans unless the person has a mold allergy. But our suggestion is you should avoid contacting mold as much as possible.
How to Clean a Tent from Mold
Prevention of mold is crucial, but yes, you can’t always prevent them as they are everywhere. Here we are discussing the process step by step.
1. Identify Mold
Molds can come into different shapes as well as colors. But mostly intents it seems like small black, green or blue colored spots scattered in the tent.
2. Kill It
For killing, you can spray refined white vinegar. Then let it dry.
3. Clean It
For cleaning, you have to scrub it with a soft brush but be gentle. You can use a mixture of salt, lemon, and hot water as a cleanser. Let it dry again.
Be careful about using detergent and soap as they are harsh for a tent and challenging to wipe out.
Deep Cleaning for Extremely Dirty Tent
Prevention of mold is always the best option for maintaining your tent. But mold stains can be visible in your tent. But even if your canvas is very dirty with mold stain, still there is hope.
But before starting deep cleaning, you have to keep some things in your mind. They are-
- Mold stains are tough to remove, and after deep cleaning your tent won’t ever look like brand new again. But your hard work of deep cleaning can increase the lifetime of your tent.
- The process of deep cleaning is quite hard. You also have to repeat some steps.
- Don’t forget tents are massive and when they are wet, they are way too heavy. Take the help of some other people.
Materials for Deep Clean
- Oxyclean powder. You can make it at home, but they are also easy to buy from a super shop at a reasonable price.
- One large container in which the tent canopy will fit in and extra room for water.
- A strong stick for stirring. You can use boom handle, canoe paddle.
- One soft brush
- Continuous water source and pipe
- Two strong people
- One or two days favorable weather for completing all the work
- A mop and some soap will also be needed
The Process of Deep Cleaning
- With the help of soft brush remove all loose dirt from the tent
- From the floor of the tent separate the tent’s canopy
- Fill your large container with about 1-foot warm water
- Now add Oxiclean in the warm water and stir it until it dissolved fully in the water. For the amount of OxiClean, use your judgment.
- Without the tent’s floor place the canvas in the container
- Fill water until the shelter is inundated
- Stir thoroughly so that solution is mixed and canvas is soaking
- Leave the canvas for soaking 4-10 hours and even for a whole night. Stir it sometimes
- Just like your kitchen floor, you can clean the tent’s floor. Sweep, mop, and rinse it. But be sure your floor where you will place the tent’s floor is ready
- After soaking throw the dirty water from the container but leave the tent inside
- Now rinse and roll the tent and see how the tent is looking. If you think it needs to soak again, then do it and add some more water and OxiClean
- When you will see that canvas is quite clean add water and with your stick stir and dump it for removing soap
- Now spread the canvas on your clean tent floor and pitch it
- With the water pipe throw water on it and make sure no soap remains there
- Leave the tent for drying
By following these steps, you can clean your tent. But yes, these are hard to do. So be patient.
How to Prevent Mold
For avoiding mold, you have to make sure that you never pack your tent when it is dirty or damp. Let your tent dry wholly in the sun and also make sure that the floor, guylines, stakes, poles, and bags all are dry before rolling the tent for storing.
If before leaving the campsite, you are unable to dry it entirely then loosely roll it up and after arriving home, don’t forget to dry it before storage.
For preventing mold in your tent, you can follow these tips-
- Purchase tent which is designed for long-time use and suitable in extreme weather
- Check your tent regularly
- Clean all the leaves, grass, bird poop from your tent
- Well ventilation in your tent can also assist you to prevent mold
- Clean and retreat your tent time to time
The most important thing for maintaining a tent is to clean it and store it in a dry place. It will prevent your tent from mold and also increase the durability.
Deep cleaning of a tent is hard work. So be prepared before doing it. Make sure after deep cleaning, you removed all the soap and dried it perfectly.
So, now you know how to clean a tent from mold and you can easily follow these steps. But our suggestion preventing mold is better than cleaning the mold. So be careful about using your tent and also in storing it.
Don’t forget to check your tent from time to time, even if you are not using it.